Building the perfect skincare routine can be overwhelming, especially for beginners. But not to worry! Professional dermatologists have shared their expert advice here to help you create the easiest and most effective skincare routine in 2023. Let’s break down the essentials of a step-by-step guide to achieving healthy and glowing skin.
The Must-Have Skincare Products
According to dermatologist Dr. Karan Lal, you only need three essential products to achieve great skin — cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Start your skincare routine with a gentle, sulfate-free face wash to remove impurities and ensure proper absorption of subsequent products. Then apply a simple fragrance-free formula twice a day to maintain a well-hydrated skin barrier. Also, never forget to protect your skin from harmful UV rays by using a mineral or chemical-based sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30.
Building an Effective Skincare Routine
Follow these steps to build and layer your skincare routine effectively:
● Step 1: Cleanser – Use a cleansing oil to remove makeup without stripping your skin. Follow up with a gentle, creamy skincare cleanser to ensure clean and oil-free skin.
● Step 2: Toner (Optional) – Hydrating or exfoliating toners prepare your skin for better product absorption. Avoid skincare toners containing alcohol or strong chemicals.
● Step 3: Serum (Optional) – Skincare serums provide concentrated nutrients, hydration, and antioxidants to boost skin health. Consider using a vitamin C serum in the morning to protect against inflammation and brighten dark spots. At night, a hyaluronic-acid-based serum can help hydrate and prepare your skin for other treatments.
● Step 4: Eye Cream (Optional) – Apply an eye cream before moisturizers and skincare oils. Look for caffeine-based creams in the morning to reduce puffiness and hydrating creams at night to repair the under-eye skin barrier.
● Step 5: Spot Treatment – Apply spot treatments for zits, scars, or dark spots at night to allow for better absorption. Tap the spot treatment on before applying skincare moisturizer.
● Step 6: Moisturizer – Use a moisturizer twice a day to provide essential hydration and maintain a healthy skin barrier. Pick formulas with ceramides, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid.
● Step 7: Retinol (Nighttime Only) – Retinoids speed up cell turnover, smooth wrinkles, fade dark spots, and clear pores. Start with a pea-size amount of skincare retinol once a week and gradually increase frequency.
● Step 8: Face Oil – Apply face oils as the last step to seal in moisture and enhance the efficacy of previous products. Oils can even help regulate excess oil in acne-prone skin.
● Step 9: Sunscreen (Morning Only) – Apply sunscreen with at least SPF 30 as the final step in your morning routine.